5 day course – 2014
This course is for those who want to learn how to restore and repair objects made from leather or covered in leather. These might include items of luggage, cases, bags, furniture, containers, sporting equipment & trunks.
Syllabus includes :
- Historical background of tanning and leathergoods
- The identification of different leathers
- Stitching – how to repair straps, corners, seams and decorative stitching
- Case & trunk corners – moulding and attaching
- Colouring – colour matching and ‘ageing’
- Paring – leather patches, straps, lap joints and bindings
- Changing locks and other metal fittings.
- making new handles for bags & cases
- Sharpening and maintaining hand tools
Please note: This course concentrates on the acquisition of techniques. Students will need to discuss with the course tutor Neil MacGregor before the course start date, any pieces they might want to bring with them.
Dates for 2014 Full Fee Deposit
September 22 – 26 (Monday – Friday) £975 £400