5 day course
This course is for those who want to learn how to restore and repair objects made from leather or covered in leather. These might include items of luggage, cases, leather wall-hangings, furniture, containers, sporting equipment.
Subjects covered may include :
- The identification of different leathers
- Stitching – how to repair straps, corners, seams and decorative stitching
- Case corners – moulding and attaching
- Colouring – colour matching and ‘ageing’
- Paring – leather patches, straps, lap joints and bindings
- Decorative techniques – to repair or replace damaged areas of incised, tooled, embossed leather
- Changing locks and other metal fittings.
- Sharpening and maintaining hand tools
This course concentrates on the acquisition of techniques. Students will need to discuss with the course tutor Neil MacGregor before the course start date, any pieces they might want to bring with them.
Dates for 2013 Full Fee Deposit
April 8-12 (Monday – Friday) £790 £300